Obi-Wan Kenobi Premiere Review


This morning the moment we’ve all been waiting for finally arrived, and I have to say straight out of the gate that I absolutely loved it, and having Ewan McGregor back is really special.

Getting into the episodes, I would have liked more sad Kenobi, but what we got hit hard so I’m pleased, and I think we’ll gradually get more throughout the series. Ben has restricted his use of the force in order to hide and fulfil his duty and see him fighting his urge to help repeatedly. We see him try to commune with Qui-Gon several times but he is unlikely to succeed in his present state not fully connected to the force and he strains to save Leia, as if using a muscle he has long neglected. But perhaps as the series progresses and he uses the force more, reconnecting, he will eventually see his old master.


I saw several people (including Star Wars Sessions) suggesting that Leia being in danger would be what got him to leave Tatooine and Luke, but I have to admit I did not think this would happen, I expected him to have to leave in order to draw attention away from the Lars family.

Alderaan is absolutely stunning, just as the glimpses we have seen from old canon, and I loved everything with Bail, Breha and Leia. I definitely got young Carrie vibes from Vivien Lyra Blair, plenty of sass and attitude and an ability to read people that clearly comes from her connection to the force.


I found the reveal of Anakin’s survival to Obi-Wan to be emotional and impactful although I have two questions, how did Ben know Vader was Ani’s Sith name? Not sure it was ever used in front of him (maybe in the security holo?). And how does Reva know Anakin is Vader? In the past that’s been a secret only Palpatine knew and Tarkin figured out, the Iniquisitors were trained by Vader perhaps they figured it out. It’s not a major thing for me, not canon breaking just curious.


As far as the other characters go I found Kumail Nanjiani’s con man very likeable, and it seems one with a heart that I hope we see again someday. Reva (Moses Ingram) i still find cool af, she is angry and obsessed with Kenobi and glory. While I think there is a faint chance she could turn it’s most likely she will fly to close to the flame, and her revelation of Anakin’s identity makes me wonder if she has a connection to Vader too. I really liked Rupert Friend’s portrayal of the Grand Inquisitor, that felt consistent with Jason Isaacs in Rebels ps. he’s 100% not dead. I also really enjoyed the planet of Daiyu, a grimy neon crossroads that reminds me of depictions of the Coruscant underworld.


I am excited to see where the rest of the of the series goes, especially as we have now seen 90% of the trailer footage in these first two episodes, and I feel like I am really going to enjoy the singular vision from Deborah Chow across this series.


Part I ๐ŸŒ•๐ŸŒ•๐ŸŒ•๐ŸŒ•๐ŸŒ–/5

Part II ๐ŸŒ•๐ŸŒ•๐ŸŒ•๐ŸŒ•๐ŸŒ˜/5


Jonny O


If you liked this Review then please check out;

Kenobi Series Thoughts The Book of Boba Fett Review The Bad Batch Review


To support The Starbird Files and for more content visit;

https://www.buymeacoffee.com/StarbirdFiles 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Book Of Boba Fett Trailer Review

Into The Dark Book Review [SPOILERS]

Star Wars Celebration 2023: A Starbird Files Blog