The Book of Boba Fett Finale & Series Review

It’s a little over a week and a half since the final episode of The Book Of Boba Fett and there has been a lot of varied opinions in that time, so I’ll try to keep my review fairly short. As I let the series sit with me, the more I have looked back on it as a really enjoyable experience. 

I really appreciated that this was a smaller story (for the most part) that didn’t play into the greater state of the galaxy, and focused on Boba Fett and his motivations. I enjoyed the structure of the show with the bacta tank flashbacks being one of the strongest elements for me, especially Chapter 2: The Tribes of Tatooine where Boba learns the value of having a tribe and we got great insight into the culture of the Tuskens. There was of course a lot of critique of the Mods (and the chase), but after getting used to the idea of them they really grew on me. 


What seems to have really got people talking were the two ‘non Boba’ episodes, personally I really enjoyed ‘The Return of the Mandalorian’, and it worked for me as there is a direct link from Boba Fett to Din Djarin and we needed to know what he was up to before he joins up with Boba again. Where I struggled was Chapter 7, as there was no story connection for me from Boba to Luke, Ahsoka or Grogu (although he knows of Grogu, they’ve never met at this point). I haven’t been enamored with either of Luke’s appearances in the Disney Plus shows so far, mainly because I feel that he is the biggest character in Star Wars, so when he comes into smaller stories like this he tends to dominate them and take the focus away from the principal characters of the show. 


I loved the finale, for me it was the equal of episode 2, and it gave me everything I wanted, it kept it smaller (no Luke coming in to save the day), it was action packed, we had Boba Fett versus Cad Bane, and my biggest wish - Boba riding the Rancor! I know some didn’t care for Robert Rodriguez’s directing in the series but it really worked for me here, it had a very pulpy Western Saturday morning serial feel which in turn is very George Lucas to me. My only gripe with ‘In the Name of Honor’, was the curious absence of Fennec Shand for what felt like most of the episode. I liked the end of the chapter showing Boba and Fennec walking the streets of Mos Espa, with Boba a little uncomfortable in his new role, not as a crime lord but the de facto leader of the city with the adulation of the people. The episode also solved one of the major concerns for season 3 of the Mandalorian by reuniting Din and Grogu, and I am pleased that the next season will move forward with them together rather than constantly wondering “When will it happen? Will it happen?”.


Overall the show exceeded my expectations, which were probably at a modest 3/5 to begin with, and we had many great moments with returning characters like Cobb Vanth, Pelli Motto, The Armorer, Max Rebo and Carson Teva, new characters like Garsa Fwip, the Hutt twins, the Majordomo and the Tuskens, and surprise appearances from animation and comics in Cad Bane and Black Krrsanatan. I do think maybe we needed another episode in between chapters 6 & 7 to build up the antagonism with the Pykes and give more depth to the Fett/Bane relationship. 


The show did leave me with one burning question however. WHERE IS MAX REBO? IS HE OK?


🌕🌕🌕🌕🌑 /5


Jonny O


If you liked this Review then please check out;

Book of Boba Ch1 Review The Bad Batch Review Star Wars Visions Review


To support The Starbird Files and for more content visit;

https://www.buymeacoffee.com/StarbirdFiles 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Book Of Boba Fett Trailer Review

Into The Dark Book Review [SPOILERS]

Star Wars Celebration 2023: A Starbird Files Blog