Obi-Wan Kenobi Series Thoughts

Now that the dust has settled after Disney+ Day earlier in November I thought I’d write about my thoughts on the forthcoming Obi-Wan Kenobi series. Whilst it was a disappointing day for Star Wars fans, if the Special Look hadn’t leaked the day before, I would have been pretty happy. 

But I do wonder why there couldn’t have been a short 10 second tease or a poster of Ewan McGregor back in the robes, the fandom would have exploded and I would have been very satisfied. Could the reason be that Kenobi’s outfit would itself would have been a spoiler? Could Obi-Wan Kenobi’s appearance in the new show be based off of the often depicted Mythos Kenobi, drawn by fan artists for years and made physical by sideshow collectibles, which features Obi-Wan bundled against the dust storms of Tatooine with goggles, a rifle and his old clone wars armor strapped to a backpack. It would be pretty awesome if it was, and as much as I would love it I’m not sure they would have him that way for the whole show.



That’s it for the crazy speculation I promise, let’s take a look at the Special Look teaser itself and what it hints at for the series. There is some very interesting concept art, featuring Obi-Wan riding an Eopie (and looking quite like the aforementioned mythos design I might add), interesting cityscapes one of which looks like Coruscant and what could be a rebel hanger filled with T-47 Airspeeders (the snowspeeders in ESB). But the most interesting pieces of concept art to me, feature Darth Vader and Inquisitors, we see an Inquisitor on Tatooine, Vader sitting watching a holo and a dark corridor, which differs greatly from the brightly lit corridors of an Imperial structure, filled with stormtroopers. This would possibly suggest Vader’s Castle on Mustafar or Fortress Inquistitorius as seen in Jedi: Fallen Order, at the moment I lean towards the later as the lighting suggests it could be underwater and anyone who has played JFO knows the fortress has underwater areas.



Which brings me to Vader’s role in the show, I feel Anakin/Vader’s part could be bigger than any of us have been expecting. Both Vader and Palpatine know Obi-Wan survived Order 66 and along with Yoda will be top of their Most Wanted list. I have seen some people say he can’t leave Tatooine as he must be watching over Luke, but it’s pretty easy in my opinion, to explain why he would leave. In all likelihood Obi-Wan will try to help someone, which will draw the attention of the Empire and the Inquisitors, meaning he will have to leave to draw the Inquisitors away from Luke, to kill an Inquisitor on the desert world would just endanger Luke further. It seems pretty clear that Kenobi and Vader will meet again, in addition to Kathleen Kennedy’s “Rematch of the Century” quote from the series announcement, in the Special Look Ewan says “Have another swing at each other, might be quite satisfying for everybody”. And there’s definitely enough wiggle room from what was said in the Original Trilogy, and enough time after Revenge of the Sith for that to happen. 



Part of the reason I think Hayden Christensen’s role could be quite big is because of this quote from Deborah Chow, “We couldn’t tell the story of Obi-Wan Kenobi without addressing Anakin”. I think part of this story could be told from Anakin’s perspective, and I’d love to see some of the Anakin we got in Charles Soule’s run of Vader, tortured by his past and by his physical form. I would also like to see a broken Kenobi putting the pieces back together, communing with Qui Gon, but I don’t think he needs to be alone in the desert the whole time for that, it could be a thread throughout the show, which would provide more of an arc for an already very well established character.


Obi-Wan is probably my favorite Star Wars character, and I’m very excited for this series and which ever way they take the story I’m going to be very happy seeing Ewan McGregor back in the role, bring on 2022!


Jonny O


If you liked this check out;

The Book Of Boba Fett Trailer Review May the Fourth Be With You


To support The Starbird Files and for more content visit;

https://www.buymeacoffee.com/StarbirdFiles

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Book Of Boba Fett Trailer Review

Into The Dark Book Review [SPOILERS]

Star Wars Celebration 2023: A Starbird Files Blog