The Book Of Boba Fett Ep1 Review [Spoilers!]

I have to admit I wasn’t the most excited for The Book of Boba Fett initially, despite considering myself a Fett fan, but as time went by and more and more teasers were released over the last month or so, my hype for this show had increased dramatically.

So I was eager to get stuck in when it dropped at 8am in the UK, and I wasn’t disappointed. Starting with Boba in the bacta tank having dreams of his past was a great way to begin, seeing flashes of Kamino and Geonosis before diving into the big question of how he got out of the Sarlacc. It is unclear how much time has passed when he awakes in the stomach of the Return of the Jedi monster, from the lack of smoke from the wreckage of Jabba’s sail barge it must be a few days at least, but really could be much longer.



Back in the present, Boba & Fennec receive tributes from the citizens and criminals of Mos Espa, and I loved hearing Matt Berry voicing the droid. They then begin to make their rounds of the city, visiting the Sanctuary, which seems like it could be a Twi’lek healing baths, where we run into my favorite background alien of all time - MAX REBO!!! I was hoping this series might confirm his survival and I got it in the first episode, along with a new Rebo composition, the Max Rebo album just got another step closer!



Back in the streets, Fett & Shand are attacked by assassins, which they fend off with the help of their newly acquired Gamorrean Guards, and it’s fun to see the porcine warriors be badass. Speaking of badass, Fennec Shand gives chase to the assassins across the rooftops of Mos Espa in a scene that reminded me of the parkour in Jedi: Fallen Order. Back in the Bacta tank Boba drifts back into his memories, and I really like this mechanic, still a captive of the Tuskens Fett fights off a sand creature, which has a fantastic 80s fantasy / Ray Harryhausen model look and feel to it. Boba gains the Tusken’s respect and it’s great to get yet more of the desert dweller’s culture with more variation in their dress.



I appreciated the slower burn character focused nature of the episode but at 40 mins it did feel a bit short. I kind of wish it was longer so that we got all of the flashbacks of how he got from the Sarlacc to his appearance in Chapter 14 of the Mandalorian done in this episode so the story could move forward more next time. But that said I thought this was a really solid establishing episode and I’m excited to see where the series goes and what surprises we get, it will be interesting to find out who sent the assassins, the snubbed mayor or one of the Galaxy’s many criminal gangs.


🌕🌕🌕🌖🌑

3.75 / 5


Jonny O


If you liked this review then check out these reviews;

Book of Boba Fett Trailer War of the Bounty Hunters The Bad Batch Season 1


To support The Starbird Files and for more content visit;

https://www.buymeacoffee.com/StarbirdFiles 

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Book Of Boba Fett Trailer Review

Into The Dark Book Review [SPOILERS]

Star Wars Celebration 2023: A Starbird Files Blog