The Bad Batch S1E1: Aftermath Review [SPOILERS!]


 My hype for this show was low-key, but come the morning of May the 4th Be With You there I was at 8am waiting for it to drop, and I was glad I did as I wouldn’t have wanted to be spoilt for that opening. When the narrator said the words Depa Billaba, I lost my mind, and seconds later there was Caleb Dume - bit of an odd choice to not alter Freddie Prinze Jr’s voice, but on a second viewing it jarred less. This isn’t just a Clone Wars sequel, it’s a Rebel prequel as well! Which obviously leads to the realization that we’re going to see Order 66 again, which never doesn’t hit hard. We see that Crosshair seems to want to follow Order 66 whereas his brothers don’t, but of course Caleb escapes.

I was interested to see the Bad Batch, although not super hyped but this feature length opener really sold me on the concept, in Clone Wars they seemed a bit silly but in the context of post-Order 66 in contrast to the Regs who are all under control it made me like them a lot more (Wrecker and his teddy bear!).

I had seen the rumors of Crosshair betraying his brothers and wasn’t keen on the idea, but the way it was executed was very well done. We learn that enhancement process damages the chip in their heads and only Crosshair’s semi-functions so he disagrees with his comrades but doesn’t go against them until Tarkin has his chip boosted so he’s hyper obedient. For me means not only did he not betray anyone as it’s not his fault but it opens the door to him coming back to the fold if the others find out learn of the chips in the clones heads.


Which brings me to Omega, the fifth enhanced clone, I really liked the character and am intrigued to find out what her special ability will be, she seems very perceptive maybe even empathic. In the prison cell she tells Crosshair that how he’s feeling is not his fault, as if she knows what he’s thinking and maybe she knows about the chips.

This debut really exceeded my expectations for the show and I’m looking forward to see where it goes.


Jonny O


May The Fourth Be With You

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Book Of Boba Fett Trailer Review

Into The Dark Book Review [SPOILERS]

Star Wars Celebration 2023: A Starbird Files Blog