The Lightsaber Collection Book Review



I got this book for Christmas but because of all the High Republic content I’ve only just got around to reading it. I’ve been a lot more into lightsabers and their design since my visit to Galaxy’s Edge last year, and this is a beautifully put together book, the artwork and layouts are great, each character’s lightsaber is given a double page spread, with one whole page devoted to a close up of the saber hilt. Some even get treated to a fold out page, for example the Skywalker Lightsaber, which gets more information and images of how it has changed over the years.


It did strike me that it might have been cool to write this book as an in-universe guide, but then you would miss out on the interesting behind-the-scenes information and anecdotes. I would have liked concept sketches, cutaways or information on how they were made, in the introductory pages we do get some concept sketches for Ahsoka Tano’s lightsabers and more of that would have been great.


All the obvious lightsabers are featured, along with a number I was surprised by, like Gungi the Wookiee Padawan from the Clone Wars, Lord Corvax from Vader Immortal, The Ren from the Rise of Kylo Ren comic and Stellan Gios from the new High Republic project, although why a few more from that project weren’t included is a little strange.


I also thought the absence of Revan’s lightsaber was disappointing especially given that he was referenced in The Rise of Skywalker (one of Palpatine’s legions was named after him) and we have had  Black Series figures and Lightsaber made in recent years. 




Some of my favorite designs were Leia and Rey’s lightsabers from The Rise of Skywalker, along with Cal Kestis from Jedi: Fallen Order (double ended version), Ben Solo’s from The Last Jedi and the Darksaber. Overall I think this book is well worth the investment for any Star Wars fan, as I’m sure it’s going to be a great reference for me in the future.


The Lightsaber Collection by Daniel Wallace, Art by L. Liszko & R. Valle - 🌕🌕🌕🌗🌑 / 5


Jonny O


Marvel High Republic Issues 1 & 2 Review


Light of the Jedi Book Review

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Book Of Boba Fett Trailer Review

Into The Dark Book Review [SPOILERS]

Star Wars Celebration 2023: A Starbird Files Blog