The High Republic: Readers Views



I have loved getting to grips with a different style of Jedi Order, new villains in the Nihil and Drengir and finding out about the state of the Galaxy in this new era of the Star Wars universe. And with the second wave of The High Republic publishing project just around the corner I thought now would be a great time to see what people have been making of this new era so far;

It's been amazing so far seeing how the galaxy operated in a time not really explored. Jedi also seem like what they should be guardians of peace and justice not tied to the politics of the Republic. Can't wait for more and more content.

Daniel Hales @danalexhales17 (Twitter)


Absolutely love it and I really appreciate how clear it is that all the different authors are communicating and workin well together. It feels like a very cohesive era so far.

Brandon @brandon.aka.jarjar (instagram)


I absolutely love how all the books and comics are connected.  I really enjoy getting small bits and pieces about the two major threats to the galaxy.  I have enjoyed all the new characters and some of the different force powers.  It has got to be difficult to come up with new and interesting ways to manipulate the force.

Jimmy @oldguyjedi (Twitter & Instagram)


As Brandon and Jimmy point out the connectivity between the books and comics has been incredible to see. Briefly meeting a character in one book to find that they are a main character in a comic or a central character from one publication popping up as a cameo in another, has been a joy. Every story regardless what format it has been in has felt necessary, added depth and vibrancy to the world the authors have created;


Light of the Jedi, particularly the opening section, is some of the best writing I’ve had the pleasure of reading, in Star Wars fiction or anywhere else. Introducing us to a dozen or so characters and a whole new era of Star Wars history while also delivering a tense and thrilling action set piece would be impressive in itself. But Charles Soule delivered it with a seemingly effortless style that made it genuinely breathtaking to read; a fantastic way to launch the series. All of the other stories in books and comics have been great too, and the close continuity afforded by the way the authors work together does enhance the reading experience for me. Looking forward to seeing what Cavan Scott does with his first (non-junior) Star Wars novel.

@JournalsOfTheWhills (Twitter & Instagram)


I hate to offend people so I keep quiet about it, but Light of the Jedi wasn’t that enjoyable for me. It just seemed too all of over the place for me to be honest. I’m glad I read it, but not top of my list of fave Star Wars books.

@starwarspada101 (Instagram)


Can’t wait to check out Into the Dark next. I loved Light of the Jedi.

@darth.zer000 (Instagram)



Although different people will always connect to different stories more, for me it’s difficult to look past the amazing job Charles Soule’s Light of the Jedi does in launching this era. With so many new characters introduced in the four books and two comic series it’s difficult to pick out just one character as my favourite so far, I would probably pick Reath Silas, Vernestra Rwoh and Sskeer;


I have to say that I have really gravitated to Master Cohmac so far.  The stuff he is going through with the loss of his master all those years ago and how it is echoing in his present life.  I think he has some great Jedi insights, but is teetering on the edge of falling to the darkside because he hasn't been allowed to mourn his master.  I think this is an interesting path to the darkside and will point out a few more flaws in the way of the Jedi.

Jimmy @oldguyjedi (Twitter & Instagram)


I absolutely love Orla she’s amazing plus her folded double bladed white lightsaber looks amazing.

Daniel Hales @danalexhales22 (Instagram)


My favorite character has to be Loden! His sense of humor is great, and he is a great example of what a Jedi should be. He is wise, kind, smart, strong, but on top of that all he knows how to have fun and to live life a little. Even if that means pushing his padawan out of a moving ship....again.

Christie @admiralreads (Instagram)


The second wave is arriving any day now, with books from Cavan Scott, Justina Ireland and Daniel José Older, not to mention a Manga Novel, Graphic Novel and a third comic series, the hype is real for fans of the High Republic;


I can't wait for the next onslaught of books.  I think Cavan Scott's comes out soon.

The High Republic does make me a little disgruntled about the sequel trilogy.  So, far the books and comics have flowed in and out of characters and story pretty flawlessly and this shows that they had no plan for the sequels.  Which is too bad, because I think this new era really shows how well they can plan and (wait for it) execute a storyline!

Jimmy @oldguyjedi (Twitter & Instagram)


I’m enjoying it overall, the author’s collaborative efforts are showing across the books and comics. Some intriguing storylines and issues, I’m excited for the next phase to see the direction the era will take.

Matt Hudson @whatiwatchedtonight (Instagram)


Thank you to everyone who contributed, it was really appreciated.


Jonny O


If you enjoyed this then please check out my High Republic book reviews;

A Test of Courage Into the Dark Light of the Jedi

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Book Of Boba Fett Trailer Review

Into The Dark Book Review [SPOILERS]

Star Wars Celebration 2023: A Starbird Files Blog