Making My Own Star Wars Patch Shirt

 A few months ago I set myself a project of making myself a Star Wars patch shirt, that I could wear to conventions, Star Wars events, and if I ever get the chance to go back to Black Spire Outpost. I was inspired by finding these two Oga’s Cantina patches made by the facebook Galaxy’s Edge group (here) and trying to decide what to do with them when they arrived.

I decided that I wanted to keep the shirt ‘in-universe’ so I started to look for patches of different insignia seen in the universe, searching on Etsy and Instagram. I found an Alphabet Squadron patch made by Nina’s Patches, a Dexter’s Diner patch from NerdMatters, and 4 patches from Ryloth Relics - Saw’s Partisans, Ohnaka Pirate Gang, The Nite Owls and the Andor logo. I wanted to get a military looking shirt and found a khaki green shirt on sale in H&M.

Some of the patches I ordered were sew on, others iron on. The problem there was that we don’t own an iron right now! After a YouTube search I formulated a plan to use a hot heavy saucepan to heat the patches up so the glue would bond to the shirt, with a damp cloth between, if you try this yourself it works better if you do it from the back of the shirt as the fabric of the shirt is thinner than the patch. Some of the adhesive patches stuck perfectly others didn’t so needed to be sewn as well.


I’ve always known how to sew, my mum taught me, as well as a bit at school, and although I don’t know all the different stitches and I’m not very fast it’s been a useful skill to have. So it took me a long time to sew on the six patches but it was a fun task to do while watching television (I got through the whole of the 2019 War of the Worlds series) and I’m really pleased with the finished shirt, which I’m looking forward to wearing to the Nerdbase Star Wars Weekend in July.


Jonny O


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Book Of Boba Fett Trailer Review

Into The Dark Book Review [SPOILERS]

Star Wars Celebration 2023: A Starbird Files Blog